The boom in shisha cafes prompted UAE Authorities to call for licensing crackdown. The shisha cafe culture has always been part of the Arabic culture, however, with new research it is prompting health regulators to call for venues allowing customers to smoke the distinctive pipes to be subject to tough new licensing laws. Dubai Municipality recently introduced a series of regulations and rules for obtaining a shisha cafe license.
Here are some of the new regulations that recently got introduced by Dubai Municipality:
- The retail space must be located in a commercial building on the main road
- Interior space must not be less than 200 square meters and the cafe lounge around 150 square meters
- The minimum distance between shop (Restaurant or Cafe) and between neighboring building apartments and buildings must be 150 meters
- The minimum distance between shop (Restaurant or Cafe) and between neighboring schools and nurseries must be 150 meters
- The minimum distance between shop (Restaurant or Cafe) and between neighboring mosques and places of worship must be 150 meters
- Shop interface must face the main street. The main street must be approved by authorities
- The shop must have a separate outdoor entrance as the basic design of the building and the shop should be isolated from the rest of the building
- The shop (Restaurant or Cafe) should be the building`s main entrance by at least 7.5 meters
- Shop Owner must provide an NOC to serve shisha on the premises
- Cannot serve shisha in malls or hotels in enclosed spaces
- Ventilation and Air-conditioning requirements are applicable in the area.
If you are looking at setting up a restaurant or a shisha cafe, please get in touch with one of our consultants for a free consultation. Part of the consultation is assessing whether the plot is eligible for obtaining a smoking permit or a shisha license.